What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, May 08, 2018

A Dozen















Andrew has always been my gung-ho boy.  When he jumps in, he jumps in with both feet.  He gets so enthusiastic over things that he can drive me CRAZY telling me every.single.detail on his latest passion.  He works harder than any boy I know.  He talks like a true country hillbilly.  He saunters around like a cowboy and wears camo almost every single day.  (He shines up for church, thankfully.)  He gives wonderful hugs and tells the funniest stories with the craziest, coolest sound effects ever.  He can easily get me laughing so hard I cry. 

And now he is 12.

His latest passions are camping and survival, rabbits and deer farming.  A solo week-long camping trip is his big dream for the summer.  (Don't ever give a boy My Side of the Mountain and expect anything different.)  This was very much a camping themed birthday. 

I hid all his gifts in the stairway going upstairs so he had to seek them out before opening them.  He got a tent a whistle/compass from Matt and I and a sleeping bag from Grandma and Grandpa.  He got some money from Nanny and Poppy to put toward deer raising and the sequel to The Green Ember for his reading pleasure.  Aunt Holly and Uncle John got him a waterproof notebook.  And I found a pair of camo pants at Walmart deeply discounted for just $3.00. 

And since I despise camo in all its' redneck forms- so you know I love the boy to buy him those for ANY amount of money!  ;-)

(His birthday cake was Green Ember inspired too.)

He declared it his best birthday ever.ever.ever. and was walking on air the rest of the week. 

It was wonderful.

He is wonderful.

3 comments:

Amy Marie said...

Happy Birthday to your Andrew! He sounds like a blessing, my boys would love to camp with him. Lovely cake! We have Green Ember fans here also.

Anonymous said...

I love to see your cakes. Such talent!

Abigail said...

It figures that 30 seconds after sitting down to read and comment, helpful Cadence collided with someone while ferrying a pack of seedlings outside. Oops.
But now I'm back, with earthier hands. :)

Cadence had a bunny on her cake, too, though a timid one-- more like Hrairoo than Picket. I'm already feeling a little sappy about so many of my children requesting desserts other than cake these days. Yeah, of course they're yummier, but they're more dull, as well. I love his cake and always enjoy seeing your edible artistry. You did such a nice job on it!

Happy birthday to Andrew! May his curiosity always flame so brightly! And may his camouflage pants grow along with his body, 'cause it sounds like he might not get another pair anytime soon. ;)