What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Yarn along : May 4

Here is the completed crocheted wedding pillow I was talk about a few weeks ago


It isn't an exact replica of the pillow on the gift registry but neither was it almost $60.00!  When I finally got it to them, the bride said she actually preferred my version to the store one and while she could have just been sayin' it, I am going to choose to believe her.  ;-)


It was a fun thing to do and quick enough.  I have several throw pillows that are ugly (UGLY.  LEOPARD PRINT. CAME WITH COUCH) that I couldn't bear to throw away (even though I hated them) because I know how much throw pillows cost in stores. 

 I think maybe covering those nasty things with yarn might be a perfect solution.   Probably not in ivory though.  Ivory would be my inclination but not my reality.  Not living where I live, with whom I live.  ;-)



A few heart dishcloths I made as Valentine gifts for some friends way back in February. 

(What can I say?  I told you I am backlogged with photos to blog!)



What I am working on now?  I picked up the merriment bonnet again, determined to get that thing finished next.  Guess what happened?  My very first row after picking it up again I knit when I should have purled and now I have to undo the row.   This has happened so many times with this particular piece- I must have undone rows about 13 times.  Every time I set a knit project down by the time I pick it up again I am lost.  And since there is no way of finishing a knit project in one sitting (ha!) this happens all.the.time.  So discouraging!  Not to mention, scary. You would think by now I would be an expert ripper-outer but every time I am filled with dread and start sweating bullets.

As for reading- I am now officially done reading Comfort Me with Apples even though I am only halfway through.  It is a memoir of a food critic that was highly recommended by a food blog I peruse every now and again.  I do not recommend it, not even a little bit.  On her blog, the food blogger wrote an excerpt from the book about a 10 pound chocolate cake that was basically a testament of love to 'Michael'.  It was beautiful.  Only 'Michael' turned out to be a lover who she was cheating on her husband with... and he was after Coleman, another lover that she cheated on her husband with.   Needless to say, the cake lost its' luster.

I would have quit reading immediately but I couldn't fathom a person writing a memoir about infidelity and how her poor husband must have felt so I kept reading to find out if she had used the book to tell him of her affairs.  She didn't.  Turned out the 'poor husband' was having his own affairs so...  They ended up being grateful for the 'relationship that they had made where they could encourage one another to be true to themselves' or some other sort of hogwash.

Liberated selfishness is not exactly my most favorite genre.  No matter if it is dripped in honeyed lemon butter and folded between elegant and romantic sounding french dishes.

(joining Ginny)

3 comments:

Bobbi said...

Don't give up, and check out lifelines for knitting, and read this... It was one of the single most encouraging bits about knitting I've read! http://thecraftsessions.com/blog/2014/1/22/the-secret-to-becoming-a-great-knitter-part-1

Unknown said...

Ugh. I hate that. When you are excited to read something and then it's like please wash my eyes out with bleach after. :( Sorry! Your pillow looks FANTASTIC! :)

Abigail said...

Love that pillow! Without even knowing the storebought version, I'd prefer this one, too. Handmade trumps factory-made every single time.