What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, February 04, 2015

Delight















With just a few hours left of January, I squeaked in a date with my Mister.   No sitters available, no time to go out.  But when a girl is determined for a date- a date she will get!  Even if it is just a date in her own living room.   With some take-out, a table plopped right in the middle of the living room, $2.00 roses in a glass goblet, desserts as big as our head and each a glass of wine from our cupboard- it felt pretty fancy.  We even got dolled up for each other- which was Matt's most perfect idea.  As for the children- they had leftover lasagna to eat and then were allowed to have a sleepover all together (one of their favorite things in the world) and on top of that- they got to watch a movie on the laptop. (joy! bliss!)  Children?  What children?

I have been determined to sew something lately.  It is winter!  This is when it is supposed to happen!  Though the longing to sew an actual THING is there, the time has not been, so instead of sewing a dress or a skirt or pants or a thing that can be completed, I determined to just sew something.  I opened up the case of strips (leftover from Gram's quilting days) and just started sewing straight lines, one after another.  It felt good to feel the hum of the machine again- and I found myself humming in time too.

Also- given my Don't Buy A Skein in 2015 (a use-it-up challenge to myself), I decided this weekend to start a new afghan project using my many skeins of homespun.  I guess I went a little bit crazy with the Baby, It's Cold Outside sweater plans because I made three but have enough yarn for quite a few more!  Blankets take me forever to finish (the last one took nearly five years!) but they are great for mindless crocheting- perfect for movie nights.  I have high hopes.  And, at the end, an empty basket and a very pretty, cozy blanket.  (I'll be using this free pattern.)

Tents as big as living rooms.  Girls curled up for hours reading books.  Boys making snow forts and gathering icicle lollipops.  Peppermint steeping, summertime tonic.  Powdery pink and blue skies at dusk.  Zucchini bread breakfasts and squash soups at suppertime, the ending of the planting, harvesting and putting up of last year- filling our bellies.  Yes, that work was worth it in the end.

Delightful.  That is my life.

8 comments:

Mary said...

I love your posts! I'm always so inspired. Thanks!

Leah T. said...

So glad you were able to squeak in a date with Matt and some sewing before the end of January! The date night looked every bit as much fun and romantic as one out on the town. :) Can't wait to see what becomes of Gram's strips of fabric. The afghan pattern looks fun! (While my mom was here before Christmas she showed me how to do a few crochet stitches!) The peppermint tea, zucchini bread, and squash soup sound delicious! I'm so enjoying the fact that you're able to blog again! Yes, I've used lots of exclamation marks but it's 'cause I'm so glad to be catching up with you and your family. :)

Full of Grace said...

Looks absolutely wonderful, and there is Nothing wrong with a romantic date at home for sure ;) Glad you were able to squeeze it in before February ;)

Julian said...

Your pictures always capture the right warmth...
Great date idea! Christina

Ulli said...

Delightful. That is your blog!

Thank you for sharing.

terricheney said...

I love your date night living room. It was sweet and romantic looking. In our long ago days we would rent the kids a movie and they had the house to themselves. We had the den. It was called the black blue or red rule. If you weren't bruised or bleeding you didn't come to the den. I don't recall ever being interrupted in our precious alone time.

Leanne said...

Oh, lovely, what a great idea to have a dessert date ... and not have to go anywhere! The hubs and I are planning a couple nights away at the end of Feb..even if it is just around the corner in our local town :) As long as its together, we're thrilled! Also, I have to agree the snow has been so great for the kids...snow forts and tunnelling, there are hours that go by I don't hear a peep!

Abigail said...

John and I just had one of those ourselves while the children were out playing in the snowy dark! After a Valentine's supper, he called me into the dining room-- complete with candles, framboise, and ice cream sundaes. It lasted, literally, 60 seconds before the children burst into the house. Then, we got a hilarious commentary on every bite. Not quite as romantic as yours looks. ;)

p.s. Your boxes of fabric to sort now number nine. (9!) Let me know if you want to tackle them in smaller quantities.