What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, June 30, 2014

Weekending


flea market treasures






a double yoker 


I've decided not weeding the strawberry patch is actually quite beneficial.  The birds can't see the red berries through the weeds~ so we get them!

Friday was had some of our very favorite people over for a long and lovely visit.  It's the kind of relationship where the parents are good company for us grown-ups and (BONUS!) they have seven kidlets who provide good company to my own kidlets four.  The result is a visit where children are off playing together and grown-ups can have uninterrupted conversations despite being outnumbered 3-1.  The very best kind of visit.

It was nearly midnight before they left (next time you and yours must plan to spend the night, Missus!) and Adele' had reached her limit.  The girl wailed and wailed as we waved goodbye.  When we had come inside Corynn made some remark like "I don't know why she was being such a crumbmudgon- it was so fun!"

 "It is really late and Adele' had fun too.  She is just SUPER tired, so we are just going to give her some grace right now and help her to bed."

And then Judah began to wail "I want some grace toooooooooo!"

Saturday Matt let me shirk Saturday morning responsibilities to head to my favorite summer haunt, the flea market/antique barns.  I could only go for an hour but I made good use of it!  I came back with a basketful of treasures.  Two of which are presents for others.  I won't tell you which are the gifts, so as not to spoil the surprises, but I can tell you that the basket is not one of them!  My harvesting basket finally fell apart this last year and I was in need of a good one.  And this one is lovely.  (And cheap!)

Then it was off to a bridal shower/ quilting bee where I realized hand-quilting is harder than it looks.  And I can't believe how time-consuming!  And my stitches were wonky.

Then Sunday~ a picnic after church.

All in all~ a fun weekend with blue skies above and lots of laughter below.

15 comments:

Carissa Anne said...

The Robin's were eating our strawberries too. My parents had one of those old fake owls in their garage that bobbles it head in the wind, so we set that on the corner of our berry patch and have not had a problem since. Just thought I'd share. :-) Lovely pictures.

Julian said...

Love the pictures!:) hmm.. cant wait to see what you do with the finds! Sounds like it was a very great weekend. I like the grace. I think we all need some too!;)
Christina

Abigail said...

Considering that Luci told me the next day that she wished we lived with the Newmans, perhaps we should bring building materials along with us for a more permanent dwelling!

Thanks so much for being the ever-gracious hostess, serving up such savory food, and baking that glorious chocolate cake. My vote is that it was worth all the cocoa powder, and then some. :)

Abigail said...

(Forget saving for the tree house here; we'll just build it in your woods!)

Amanda said...

Sounds perfect! Lovely cake!

Full of Grace said...

ach..I was so hoping for just one picture of the tiny babe since I couldn't be there..Whats up with that, keeping him all to yourself?! ;) So sad I missed it :(

Rebecca said...

Carissa~ plus, a fake owl would just be COOL! ;-)

Abby- stellar plan! OR, as you say, the Granary could be Owen Home Away From Home.

Elizabeth- you can get your fill of Aidan on Abby's blog- and there is no way any picture I could take of him would compare with those amazing pictures! Besides, pictures don't do the "little" justice.

cathie3914 said...

picture one - cake

what kind of cake? And what's on top that looks so yummy :)

Rebecca said...

A bonfire cake, of course!

It is a double chocolate (from scratch) cake with candy 'fire' atop.

Wish it weren't gone...

cathie3914 said...

that is simply amazing. So do you make the "fire" or just buy candy?

Leah T. said...

One word: jealous! LOL Oh, how I wish I could see both your family and the Owen family! Maybe next month?! I'm hoping to make it to (my mother's side of) the family picnic in Nanticoke! We just need a reliable vehicle to get us there. ;)

Rebecca said...

WOAH! YES, PLEASE Leah!!! Do let me know if you can eek some time out for a visit! I'd love that so much. Besides~ I'd like to see that little 1 year old of yours! ;-)

Rebecca said...

cathie- yup, I made the fire. It is a simple hard candy recipe poured into a thin layer and broken up into shards. I colored it yellow and flavored it cinnamon and then, right before pouring onto the cookie sheet I dropped in two drops of red food coloring and did a quick swirl. It was really pretty~ though you can't really see the neat swirling effect from the picture.

Carissa Anne said...

Yes, I love "Mr. Owl", he is quite a charmer if I do say so myself. :-)

Theresa said...

Judah is a wise boy. We all need some grace too :)