What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, January 27, 2014

The Woods in Winter






(brothers!)

 





 


I HAD to do it....
 
 


Matt teases me mercilessly about my hermit-tendencies in winter.  I'd rather be wrapped up in robes and blankets, curled on the couch or (better yet) standing within inches of the woodstove frying my leg hairs off than walking in snow with wind whipping my face and freezing my eyelids open.  But hey, that's just me.

So I am a bit of a recluse in winter.  I admit it. 

But I forced myself to go for a walk one balmy day of about 27 degrees- knowing that the single digits were looming in the forecast and if I didn't go to the woods then, I wouldn't get another chance for a while.    Winter woods are echoey and crisp and still (except for the children who romp along beside) and always, always beautiful.

I feel very blessed to get to see such beauty on this hill- each season brings with it new extravagance and pomp.  Winter is no different.

I only wish that I could WARM UP, for goodness' sake. 

I do envy the city apartment with thermostats that can be pushed to 'stuffy' with a mere button touch and living rooms with fireplaces (even fake ones).  Especially when the quilt that hangs between doorways to keep out the cold, hangs convexly as it fights against the heavy wind that pushes and shoves it.  SURELY a window must be open....a door?  Nope.  Not even one. 

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Little boy bottoms!! Too cute. I bet that was cold. I love your pictures...especially of you in your leopard print head scarf. You look very glam! Have a lovely week.

Rozy Lass said...

I just laughed at the "I had to do it" picture. I have four boys and can totally relate to that. Not to be improper or crass in sharing this, but my boys had contests at the top of the slide to see who could shoot the farthest. At some point their innate modesty kicks in and they stop that sort of nonsense. Children are such a great blessing!

Ulli said...

Beautiful, striking, serene, playful, and fun! Love it!

beth said...

beautiful, beautiful images and words ~

and that tush! too cute. and funny. such a boy.

Unknown said...

If they're going to have such freedom that we ladies don't have they must pay for it just a little, lol! Thank you for fighting your hermit tendencies (I'm the same way too) and sharing your beauty with us!

Miranda Hupp said...

Lovely pictures! Yesterday we spent the day outside. Brr...it was cold but so very worth it. I think it is funny that we capture a lot of the same kinds of images. Except the too cute butt because my guy isn't so little anymore! :)

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS photos, as usual. We are sooo cold in our drafty farmhouse also...oh well. I'm just keep thinking of spring...it sorta thaws my toes...sorta. ;)

Unknown said...

Oh and how 'bout popping that photo into a folder for his wedding slideshow? ;)

Bonnie said...

You got all the way up to 27? Luckeeee

Psalms w guitar said...

Totally cool post! The woods in the wintertime is very mysterious and we have great adventures traipsing about. Malachi tends to step in the Creek, and then we have to run home!

All the best. Granddaddy comes home tomorrow.

BajaManna said...

We were talking to some friends who live in Calgary who have an old house with only some of the windows being double-paned, and temperatures outside being -30, and all I could think about was whether it's warm enough in your house. I hope you have at least some warm spots where you can be cozy.