What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, May 03, 2013

Living



 
 






Isn't it easy to take living for granted?  To assume, even subconsciously, that you are in control of your life?  That if you eat well and drive well and exercise well and do everything *just so* that you are making your life better/longer/controlled?  And when we live as if we have ANYTHING at all to do with living, we lose the opportunity to see the huge gift that living REALLY is.

My birthday is coming up- I will be 31.  31 years old is young.  At first thought, 31 is TOO young to worry about things like, oh, DEATH.  But on the other hand, my life is 31 years longer than I could have had...

Reminders like these are often unpleasant, but even THEY are gifts....because I can look at my children, my husband, the grass getting mowed, salamander pets, smoke swirls, and petals in glass and see them for what they are...things I may not get tomorrow. 

Life is a gift.  I have opened up millions of moments that I never deserved and I hope to open millions more.   And if I don't, then I still can't complain.  Life isn't fair.  Because FAIR means I never would have had any of it.

Life is GOOD.

10 comments:

Miranda Hupp said...

Life is good! Beautiful pictures, as always.

Julian said...

Im going to be fourty in november. My thirties were one of the best times in my life. I find that as you grow older, you spend alot of time reflecting, and you see alot and appreciate more than you ever did before. Your life becomes more on purpose living. Beautiful pictures.
Have a blessed weekend! Christina

Full of Grace said...

Hey Awesome Sister..Tried calling to check on you today but you were out and about..Wanted you to know I am praying for you and You are Loved :)

Tracy said...

Amen!

Alyssa Spring Corley said...

Thank you...I needed to hear this today. Life is good and God is good - sometimes I don't feel it. Your pictures are always so full of sunshine they make me happy. Oh..and I'm so sorry about your hair. :( nothing worse then not loving your hair. I've almost cut mine several times but my husband is in love with it and it seems after I get it cut...and just notice every person out there with long hair and then have to wait three years for mine to grow back. Have you looked into herbs that help hair strength and help it grow faster?

Miranda Hupp said...

I kind of, sort of, maybe....gushed about you over on my blog yesterday. :)

Abigail said...

So Michael called and told us Matt's message that said where you'd been but not WHY. Now I'm teetering between calling you (scary telephone), emailing you (which you'll probably not even get until Whatever It Is is resolved), or just driving to your house and kidnapping all of your children.

Anyway, without knowing the whys or wherefores, I'm praying for you, Missus. (And now I'm off to kidnap your children...)

p.s.
Beautiful pictures. I'm partial to the last one, although that is a mighty handsome pipe up above. ;)

Abigail said...

Note: The PIPE is handsome.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos. I've missed stopping by here! I hear you with this post, life IS so precious. Even life that gets tough at times.....
I hope you are well, my friend!

Your Easter celebration was lovely!!!


Bless you.

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of pipe-smoked tobacco (having hailed from Durham, NC and my grandparents and forebears were tobacco sharecroppers).

And I know this may be unwelcome. . . my grandfather, a mechanic and farmer, NEVER lit up a cigarette in his life. But he smoked a pipe just about every night after dinner. He died at age 62 with horrendous, painful lung cancer that took him in less than 6 months. I was in 3rd grade. I know that it doesn't kill everyone, but still, my grandmother (who is still alive and has been widowed for about 30 years) would beg your husband not to do it.

I say it in love, not to be mean or cause fear.