What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Friday, October 05, 2012

How Skeeter Came To Be











It was a day I was working out in my summer kitchen, doing some tomato saucing. The sun was shining, the kids were running circles around me excitedly and I had been working for a long time.  Cars would pass, we would wave (we do that, you know), more cars would pass.  Cars that passed in the morning would come back through in the afternoon and I was still out there making sauce. 

Then a car pulls up and an older man gets out and says "I was hoping to talk to you when your children weren't around..."

WHAT?!?!?  Back that train right up!

Well, it turns out there was nothing nefarious about the man or what he had to say.  Instead, it was out of respect for me.

He said he happened to be the neighbor down the road that had miniature horses and they noticed we would stop by and visit them, taking them apples and carrots from the garden.  He said that the three that they had were getting to be too much for them and they were looking for homes for two of them.  One would go to their granddaughter, one they would keep and we are looking for a good home for the third.  Every time my wife and I drive past we see all the children playing together outside and we think that this would be a great home for him.  If you want him, you can have him.

And that is how we came to have a miniature horse.

And really, he is so so so charming.  Totally relaxed around the children and calm.  They walk him around the fields and he walks right beside them-never pulling on his rope or anything.   The first thing they do when they wake up in the morning is go out and walk him on his lead.  They spend their school days itching to go out a be with him.  I have to call them in every night at supper and wait for them to put Skeeter in his stall.

He is so tiny that he won't really be ridden unless by the littles...but I do believe a cart for Corynn and Andrew to drive him with will be in his future.  He is a stout little guy.  Yes, I think a cart for him would do nicely.

17 comments:

Bonnie said...

That. Is. Awesome. And props to the neighbor for making sure the kidlets weren't around.

Oh yes, a cart, a little two wheeled gypsy colored cart...

Paula said...

Oh, he is adorable! It would have been the stuff of my childhood dreams for someone to drop by and give me a pony!

Leah T. said...

So very sweet! And what a blessing! So happy for your children. :)

Bobbi said...

What a fantastic blessing! Horses are one of my most favorite animals (i rode between the ages of 7-16) YEAH i hope the kiddos really enjoy skeeter! : )
=Bobbi

LFlores said...

How sweet of your neighbor to think of you and your children! Miniature horses, How fun!

That second photo!! I literally said out loud, "OH MY WORD!! THOSE TREES!!!!" Tress that actually change colors in the fall? Those really exist? Huh, thought it was only a fairy tale.
Here in Phoenix, Arizona, we get year round green cacti...

Anonymous said...

Hooray for the horse ! And oh so jealous of your fall colors.

Renata said...

He is just adorable ~ my kiddos would love a pet like that! What a lovely neighbour you have!
Blessings
Renata:)

Phyllis said...

Oh, my! Rebecca, he is so adorable!

Jen said...

He is so cute:)

Rosemary said...

What a wonderful, kind neighbor you have! Skeeter is the cutest little guy, truly. You are making beautiful memories for your family.
I love the fall colors.

ari said...

You have a bathroom fairy AND a miniature horse??? Harumph! But he is darling!

Bonnie said...

Is it bad that after my first thought of "How Cute!"
was "Think of all that free manure!" ?

Unknown said...

that is FOR REAL one of the best sweet stories ever!

Full of Grace said...

First of all, I LOVED Bonnie's last comment! :) Second, Skeeter is Adorable and I can't wait to see him in person! :)

Jerelene said...

He is adorable! What a sweet gift for your family :) I bet he loves your kids too!! The trees where you are look beautiful!! What a view !! Always a pleasure to visit your page...blessings, Jerelene

Leah said...

Wow,all I can say is breeheehinnybrinnyhooeyhah! :P
(you know, from "The Horse and His Boy ;)

Alyssa Spring Corley said...

Oh I love that story! WHat a great gift....and I'm so stinkin' jealous of your fall colors. We just made the move to Colorado from Tennessee...and even though it's GORGEOUS here...the colors aren't as vibrant and last for about 2 weeks. :(