What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Monday, August 20, 2012

A Weekend (and zucchini, OF COURSE)



        This morning Corynn said "Yesterday was the last day of the zucchini week, huh?" I nodded my head, bracing myself for the collective sigh of relief from the breakfast table.  But you know what happened instead??? A collective GROAN.  (I am TOTALLY serious.  They even asked that this week ALSO be a zucchini week (which I politely declined, hehe)!  This says an awful lot for the group of children that were getting downright sick and tired of the sight of raw, roasted or sauted zucchini at the start of last week.  The goal was to have a varied enough palette that no one grew tired of eating zucchini---and obviously it worked beautifully! 

Thank you for all your recipe suggestions- by email or by blog comment.... I didn't get to use nearly as many recipes as I would have liked last week- but as I assured the children---they haven't seen the last of the zucchini YET.  ;-) I will be trying them all, I hope, before the zucchini finally dies. 



Here were the zucchini dishes I made from Friday until the end of the week (Sorry for not posting over the weekend, I am a terrible weekend blogger), in no particular order~ the recipes from Zucchini Week will be posted on my recipe blog sometime this week-along with a few rogue zucchini recipes from this summer.  I'll let you know when. 

Garden Veggie pizza- for Friday night pizza night

Now THESE are zucchini brownies!  ;-)


Zucchini Hashbrowns

And now you guys are probably SO THRILLED that I will not be posting any more pictures of food for a while.  NOW is when I will hear the collective sigh of relief, I am sure.  (Speaking of which~ I am sorry about my constant whims and that you must endure them.)  

~~~~~~~~~~~~

And a bit of the weekend~



* Judah remained sick, feverish and obsessively clingy all weekend.  It took four days before he would even consider allowing me to do anything other than hold him.  Thankfully, I have helpers.  Needless to say, he got a lot of attention. 
Awwwww.

The little sick Prince and the Pea

He is HOT! Love Adele's face there.

~ He eventually let me take him outside for some fresh air for a little while.  (Hallelujah!)

* I had this massive, freakish, meltdown at church because a wonderful woman, out of the blue rubbed my shoulder and said PEACE BE WITH YOU and at that moment, and for many reasons, peace was very, very far from me.  I love Mary and am constantly amazed at how intuitive her love is.  But it kinda stunk that I made an absolute fool of myself.  But if you can't make a fool of yourself in front of your family-then when can you, right?


After Saturday Night Baths~ bright and shiny like a new penny
* I finally got a chance to sit down with the books and begin preparing for the school year that is FAST approaching.  *sigh*  It is too bad the school year doesn't begin in October-November.  September is such a busy month harvesting month.  It was good to finally sit down and think about things a bit.  More yet to do, but it was a start.  And a good start---out in the warm sunshine, an apple pie candle, and surrounded by curriculum catalogs! 




* I started crocheted a Christmas gift.   I might make ONE Christmas gift this month after all.  Wonder of wonders!


There are so many more things I could say (and so many more pictures to post) but this computer is taking FOREVER to upload pictures so this is all you get for today. 


Thank you for all the book suggestions in the last post!  Wow!  If ever I want more comments, all I have to do is ask about books.  :-)  What great suggestions you all gave; many I had never heard of.  Thanks so much (and methinks Corynn will be thanking you too.)  You guys are swell.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your news-y posts...weekend blogging...I've been horrible at all blogging for awhile now. I just can't seem to get my thought/pictures/etc together. Maybe it's just a season.

I absolutely LOVE the photo of you planning...I got your note too. Thank you! Such a treat in the mail!!! We were on our way somewhere and I got to slowly read it as we drove. : - )

Bonnie said...

Love that last picture too! Poor Judah, he looks so miserable. And as for the breakdown- sounds like you needed it, and there is nothing to be ashamed or sorry about. God knew you needed a kind touch and loving word, and He wasn't worried about how you appeared, He just wanted you to get His message : )

Adele looks too grown up, and I love that she has two-tone colored eyelashes.

Sitting a minute before unloading the van from dropping off fair stuffs. An hour and a half there and I am pooped. And still great with child.

Megan @ Purple Dancing Dahlias said...

I love all of your pictures! In MN we can start school just about when ever we like so we are not starting until the first week in October this year, just makes it not so darn crazy around here :)

The Farmer's Kids is our blog just for homeschooling this year if you want to check it out. I am always looking for guess post (because us homeschooling moms have so much extra time, right?) I love to see how other families make school work for them and sharing it with others. If you ever want to guess post I would love it!

Davene Grace said...

I enjoyed this post so much, just like I always do! :)

Your lament about school starting just when the harvest is getting so busy reminded me of another blog I discovered through Bonnie. Here is a link to a post about homeschool scheduling: http://onjustacoupleacres.blogspot.com/2012/08/making-time-for-education.html
The section "An Agrarian Calendar," in particular, is what came to mind. Maybe it will be helpful for you? :)

Bonnie said...

Question: Is zucchini still leathery after you dry it? I cannot get mine to crisp up. Maybe I cut it too thick? Should I have blanched it first?

Amanda said...

All the "z" recipes look...
out
of
this
world.

I'm afraid that all of my "z" is gone for the year, but I've bookmarked a handful of the ones you've shared and i'll welcome them all next summer.

Rebecca said...

Amy~ I bet it is a season. And probably, (hangs head in shame) a more productive one to be in too, I bet. I will say, I am SO lucky to have you as such a good letter-writing friend. Even if your blog is silent for a while, I feel like I still know what is going on.

Bonnie~ but you GOT THERE! I bet that baby was born last night. I bet he waited just so you could go to the fair. (What a guy!) If you are still pregnant please please PLEASE do this one thing for me? Take a picture of yourself ONE LAST TIME great with child. You never know if it may be your last. PROMISE??

PS. You don't have to blanch the zucchini, just slice it more thinly. OR dry it longer. It will work.

Megan~ I wouldn't mind at all. My email is sgrbear724@yahoo.com. You let me know what you would want me to post ON and I will do it.

Davene~ thank you for that. I read Quinn's blog and enjoy it so much and I have seriously considered following a more agrarian calendar. The only thing that hinders me is the fact that I am ALWAYS busy. In the fall it is harvesting. In the spring it is planting. Working through the summer is not an option because we are so busy working ( and romping) in the summer.

My schedule will more LAX during those very busy times, but for us, it is important to do at least a bit every day in order to actually accomplish things. Mainly it is my own self-discipline that is the problem. I can't tempt myself not to do school or I really WON'T! :-)

Amanda~ want some of MINE???? ;-)

Davene Grace said...

I know what you mean about ALWAYS being busy. Just when I think life will ease up a little and the schedule will clear, something else rushes in to take its place. :)

Are you on pins and needles to hear about Bonnie's baby, too??? ;)

mamaof5cuties said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mamaof5cuties said...

Hey Rebecca~
I love your posts and pictures lately..your so creative with using up your zucchini! I would love to see the recipes you used especially the BROWNIES!! Yummy!
I am hopeful you will be doing a school post with your plans for the year! You always have some great ideas and book choices.

God Bless~
Jess

Rebecca said...

Davene~ totally. :-)

Jess~ It is good to hear from you! And yes, I am totally going to post those recipes (all of them I think?) but I just can't get to it this week because I literally have something going on EVERY.SINGLE.DAY. CRAZY.

And I hope to share school stuff too and soon. I am just starting to get my head around it, actually.

Leah T. said...

I love you news-y posts, too! And the picture of you working on your school planning is wonderful. :)

I decided to take a different approach to school this year. Rather than waiting until the busyness of canning is through we started early so that we can take a day off here and there for the busiest days. We'll still be ticking off the days on the school calendar while allowing for the harvest season (and the Lord willing, a move to the house by the barn!). We started two weeks ago and have completed 9 days of school. We took this Tuesday off to can most of the 4 bushels of peaches we were able to buy.

Kimberly said...

I planned to start in September last year, but with a cow and all the canning, it didn't happen. This year, I'll just plan to start in October. Are there rules in your state? If not, why not do what works for your family? It blew my mind last year as a former classroom teacher. :)

Full of Grace said...

That impromptu visit for my bday was Wonderful, I enjoyed myself so much and really enjoyed that zucchini brownie, would you mind sharing the recipe??? I'd really love to have it! :) Thank you for the gifts but most of all thank you for being one of my best friends, so blessed to have you as my sister! :)