What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

a simple few

We had eight houseguests come and stay with us for the weekend. Very dear friends they are. And despite the last night both mothers being up with puking children, it was a very pleasant visit! :-)

Thankfully, I spent plenty of time last week getting the house in spit-spot shape for their visit, so this week I can concentrate on the many (many) blankets, towels, afghans, pillows affected by Pukefest 2010.

It is nice to have a tidy house, even if it smells a bit putrid. :-)

Thank GOODNESS for pumpkin spice and caramel apple scented candles.

A few bits of winter pleasure from the last couple days:

It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas~it has been so mild lately for end of November/beginning December. It has only just begun to get truly cold and snowy. Being the coldaphobe that I am, I am SO thankful for that. Addie Mae sure likes watching the snowflakes falling.


Candles are being lit and stained glass lamps in the evening make winter so comforting and beautiful. By some bit of magic, the very same candles and lamps lit in summertime cannot compare with the wintertime ones.


Baking sugar cookies, my favorite cookies to bake. I love *LOVE* to decorate sugar cookies. As much as the children---maybe more. There were so many *little* hands helping, I might just have to make a batch of cookies to decorate MYSELF some evening after the children go to bed.

Yes, I might that.



Apples in pies. Apples in crisps. Apples in salads. And in cinnamon rolls. These were an experiment... a successful one.


Cold weather makes a warm oven a welcome treat. Now is the time when my passions for cooking are rekindled. I love recipes. I love searching for them almost as much as I love using them. What I don't love, is the pile of recipes printed or scribbled out and piled up that invariably happen because of it. Just one more pet-peeve I have for myself. At least the food is good.

9 comments:

Michelle G said...

:) I do the same thing...and then when I'm cooking they get all "gooky" from flour or other misc. ingredients and I don't want to loose them, but don't really want to keep them like that :)
I'm gonna start using page protectors - I am! (as soon as I remember to buy them) :)
Sorry to hear about pukefest 2010
that's always icky!

Bonnie said...

Winter has set in here too, we've had at least a foot of snow in the last 24 hours- and kids are to snot ridden to go play :( I feel like an ogre, but they are at the point that playing out would set them back further than fresh air would help. thbbppp.
So sorry about Pukefest 2010.
Snotfest 2010 still going strong here.
I'm so glad to see piles of recipes, I am a recipe hoarder myself.
My goal is to finish Christmas cookies by the end of the week. Saving the frosted sugar cookies for last, when post nasal drip is less likely to decorate them as well...
Now that I've grossed you out, farewell!
Bon

P.S. Eeewww my post is all about snot

Anonymous said...

Bon's comment cracked me up -- 'tis the season.

I'm a "Bon" too -- and really love visiting your blog -- want to turn back time and do it all again as you are doing it! My babes are 13 and 10, so perhaps it's not as late as it often feels...

I so enjoy soaking up your eloquently-penned posts and trying all your recipes.

With humble thanks ~
Another Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Love visiting with you :) Always a smile and something I can relate to!
Blessings xo

Leah said...

Okay, I'm gonna definitely need that apple cinnamon role recipe!!!

I like my scented candles too. (although I'll do without the puking children ((fingers crossed)) )

Love you!

Unknown said...

Cinnamon rolls are on my to-do list soon....I'm going to try Pioneer Woman's. Any cinnamon roll tips? :) I've never done them before! :) I love doing sugar cookies too...we are planning on gingerbread men & women, girls, & boys tomorrow! I think maybe red hots or m&m's for faces & buttons! I wanna make one for each person in my family (like in the movie Young at Heart? I think it's called with Doris Day and Frank Sinatra) Anyway, she makes these giant gingerbreads that look like family members. I've been always wanting to do that! :D

Glad to have you back, friend! Sorry about the sickies! :( NO FUN!

Rebecca said...

cinnamon roll tip: use dental floss/fishing line to cut the rolls. And use LOTS of sugar ;-)

Peggy said...

OH the Pioneer woman's cinnamon rolls are simply wonderful! I make them every year and then try to stay away from them!

I am so sorry that the sickness has struck your family...but so happy to hear you had a wonderful visit!

Anonymous said...

Oooh! can you post your cinnamon Roll recipe please?