What you do in your house is worth as much as if you did it up in heaven for our Lord God. We should accustom ourselves to think of our position and work as sacred and well-pleasing to God, not on account of the position and work, but on account of the word and faith from which the obedience and the work flow. ~ Martin Luther

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Book Monster


No bed, chair, or even floor is safe anymore. The monster has been born. Can't tell you how proud that makes me.

I swear I used to do this very thing myself (still do sometimes, even). This girl of mine is an absolute mini-me.

She will read aloud on her own while I listen on to see how she is progressing and to help her along with difficult words and though Andrew seems to be happily playing in a different room, whenever Corynn gets to a "good" part, you will hear the thumps of racing little feet to check out the pictures.


I can't believe how well she is progressing! She is no longer intimidated by little print and large pages and will gladly pick up and start to read a book even if it lacks pictures. That was a big step-before she was too intimidated by it. She can read many 5-6 syllable words with ease and I think as she reads along, how difficult some words are phonetically but that she glides right through them. But mostly, I just love to see her nose buried in a book without me suggesting it. It isn't for school anymore, it is for HER. So great. So, so great.

Her latest love is a rediscovered Christmas gift from our bookshelves, in which she has been lost for two days. It is really a lovely compilation of stories. I see there is also one on Heroes. Maybe that will have to be next on our list...

12 comments:

Bonnie said...

I remember doing the same thing too, anytime, anywhere (heck I still can!) I think I read Little Women in 2 days when I was about 12.

Once Honey is reading, I see her following the same path, she tells vivid stories *now* just "reading" the pictures to herself, or Biscuit.

Good job Corynn!

Nanci said...

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Dr. Seuss

One of my favorite "reads" to my children when they were young was I Can Read with My Eyes Shut! and that was one of my favorite lines.

Oh, the places Corynn will go!!!

Jena said...

I just wanted to pop in an say what an inspiration you are. I haven't commented regularly but I'm following along. I don't know many good, Godly women locally but I feel blessed to be able to learn from a few like you in this format. Thanks. :)

Miranda Hupp said...

Alyssa will read like this. Always has her nose in a book. Morgan is starting to read more on her own and Carter well lets just say he is not as interested as his sisters.

I am always interested in how other families spend their day. I would LOVE for you to do a post about your typical day. Do you follow a routine, stick to a schedule or just take it as it comes? :o)

Leah said...

It looks like Corynn has taken off with reading! And I know how proud you are. :)

I'm still waiting for John to get to this point but I know it's coming. He reads very well during school but hasn't gotten to the point that he picks a book up to read just for fun. Actually at this point he's much more interested in helping his Papa and Grandpa do everything that needs to be done on the farm so I refuse to complain! He's proving himself to be a very hard worker and I'm so proud of him for that!

Since others have suggested future post I'd love to jump in and ask for a post on your gardening progress. What are you growing? What are you planning to preserve? We've gotten a slow start on our garden this year since we've had to start from scratch.

Psalms w guitar said...

It is such a Blessing to see! I have 5 kiddos and they were/are so different in this area, some were/are quick to learn and some slower.The Lord has shown me that he does create each child different and to enjoy the time and just keep reading to them and it will come. It makes my heart glad when I hear them reading on their own or just trying.

You go Corynn! books open up a whole new world! Have fun!

Psalms w guitar said...

oops! It was me Mary Not my hubby that wrote the above post.Which you probably new that already. So just ignore my rambling on. :)

Wendy said...

Thats so funny...Isaac and I were just talking about that...how reading can be better than watching any tv show or movie...I had a reading light that hooked onto my bed since I loved to read so much as a child. You know it is passed on when they ask for books as a birthday gift! Good job for Corynn! Practice makes Perfect!

Unknown said...

Love this...my sister and I were the exact same way!!! :) What did you use (if anything) to teach Corynn to read? :)

Rebecca said...

Thanks for all the comments! For those of you who had questions...incidentally, I had envisioned those topics and several more being addressed in upcoming blogposts. It's just a matter of finding time to BLOG. sheesh :-)

Andie said...

Rebecca, my Abbigail is much the same. She has just finished the 4th grade and is reading at the 8th & 9th grade level. She would read all day if I would let her. I actually have to tell her it's time to put the book away and go outside! :o) Yesterday on the way home from the "little city" about a 45 minute drive, she was reading and completely surprised when we pulled onto our street. "My book swallowed me right up." she said!
This is so wonderful to see. While I like reading now, I hated reading as a child.
Blessings-
Andie

Rebecca said...

Awww Andie~that is the sweetest thing your Abbigail said!!!